Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cameras, Summer's Labor, and Epidurals

Seems like there are a lot of moments when we think "sheesh... I really wish I had a camera right now!" Today was one of those days. We took the kiddos to Baskin Robins to get one of the Tuesday dollar cones and both kids picked out the most chocolaty ice cream cone they could find. It only took about three or four minutes for both kids to have some major chocolate goatees. Even as a 6 year-old, Andrew somehow managed to get chocolate ice cream unintentionally smeared from his chin all the way up to his eyelids. It was quite a site, but unfortunately, once again the camera was sitting securely at home on the shelf. Maybe next time, we'll be more lucky.

Well, tomorrow is going to be a busy day; I work until 3 p.m., then it's going to be a rush to the airport to pick up Summer's mom who is flying in from Utah, and then Summer goes in to Hillcrest to be induced at midnight. Summer's mom was really hoping to come to the hospital for the birth, but odds are that the hospital staff will not want our two sleep deprived kiddos dashing through the hospital corridors at 2 in the morning. That being the case, Nana will probably end up staying home and watching them. Sorry Nana!

Finally, I am pleased to say that the baby's crib, shelves, and dresser are all painted and decked out in baby girl decor. The crib went from being an eyesore which Summer is quoted as saying she "always thought was ugly" to being something she actually likes. After we get the delivery all taken care of, we'll snap some pictures and post them (not that anyone would actually care about pictures of someone else's second hand refurbished crib, but what the hey).

Lastly, a blurb about epidurals. Why would anyone not want one for labor pain? Granted, I've only done about 50 or 60 of them, but I have quite literally watched women going from tears to a smile in a matter of minutes. While I realize there are potential complications, they are extremely rare, and the vast majority of potential complications are very treatable. In fact, I would argue that the majority of people who opt for a natural delivery would still have lidocaine when they go to the dentist. Noone says they want have their root canal done natuarally. Anyway, that's my soap box for the day. If anyone is offended, I'm sorry - that's just my take on the matter. Feel free to buzz me with mean nasty comments if you disagree - I promise I can take it.

**Note: Summer has not yet read, and definitely would not endorse my posting of any of the above comments, and as a disclamer for my own protection, she may or may not agree with any of the above text.

10 comments:

Rammells said...

Sounds like you should change "What we are thankful for" to epidurals for this week. :) Btw, Dr., is there any truth to the old yarn about epidurals affecting the baby? My sister-in-law talks about baby naseau and struggling through the birth canal or some such nonsense...I will assume that this is silly talk, but because you brought it up I will put it out there.

And, say hi to Summers mama from the Rammells!

Bryan said...

Thanks for the comment. I have never even heard of epidurals causing baby nausea, and I can't even come up with a pathophysiologic reason for epidurals causing baby nausea. As for struggling through the birth canal, it is more because of maternal factors (i.e. impaired use of pelvic floor muscles can prolong the second stage of labor) however the vast majority of women with epidurals progress very well, and there are a plethora of maternal and fetal benefits as a result of epidurals (i.e. less maternal compensatory metabolic acidosis which results in less fetal acidosis, etc).

Janelle said...

Thanks for the laughs -- especially the disclaimer bit. I've been trying to decide whether I want to brave it naturally or get an epidural, but you've got a point about the whole root canal thing.

Carissa Poyfair said...

I wish you had a picture of the kids and their ice cream, but I'll definitely settle for a picture of the completed nursery, refurbished second hand crib and all! And amen to the epidural bit. I am all for them and they made what could have been a painful experience into a good one (although if you are all about natural birth, go for it. You would be my hero!). Good analogy, with the root canal thing!

Lane family said...

My best friend goes the natural child birth route. More power to her! But I am all about the epidural. I will say- she ends up exhausted and worn out. While I am totally ready to go! I clean my hospital room, shower, and put on make-up. When Elle was born, she was taken to ICU, for a bacterial infection and a heart defect. It was nice because I had plenty of energy to deal with the emotions that came with that. My worst experience, (BY FAR!!!) was with Crew. It was a student doctor. I was trying to be patient since I have a husband who is a student doctor. (Dale wasn't there- he was taking a final) So after 45 min. and 6 sticks- I told them that somebody else needed to do it. (I think I was a little too patient.) Then the medicine didn't absorb. I felt the ENTIRE birth- but no contractions. That being said, I would do it all over again! Totally worth it! Maybe next time I'll just ask for you! Oh- and my babies (all 3) were TOTALLY alert and happy! Sorry about the novel!

Jill McQuade said...

While I can see why you'd see epidurals in a doctors light, I think you're missing the bigger picture. I know of many reasons that a woman would not get an epidural and it very rarely has anything to do with trying to be 'tuff'.

Getting an epidural means your normal labor is a high-tech event. You now have to have an IV, and more fetal monitoring. They increase the need for oxytocin and instrumental delivery. An epidural increases risk of a c-section (3.7 fold increase in risk). Backaches, and headaches can become chronic from epidurals. Epidurals increase the cost of your labor/delivery. They confine you to a bed. Other side effects include: maternal drop in blood pressure, increased shaking, nausea, vomiting, intense itching, bladder dysfunction, increased risk of fever, malposition of the fetus slower labors. Not to mention that 5-10 % of epidurals don’t even provide relief.

You say the risks are rare, well, I say yes the mother dying from an epidural is extremely rare (still happens though) but I don’t call 29% for hypotension rare.

As for your example of the dentist- I agree that most mothers would choose to use lidocaine…. But not while pregnant. It seems silly to me that women are told don’t even drink one glass of wine during pregnancy and yet ‘everyone should get an epidural’

Ok, I’m done. Graduations on the upcoming baby.

Miriam said...

Well, it looks like I am one of the odd women out. I had my Hannah without an epidural and it was a really positive experience for me. In fact, I'm planning on doing it again for baby #2 in July. I think for me one of the biggest reasons I went natural is that I wanted to be in control, not strapped to a bed or an IV or anything of that sort. I actually labored in a tub and it was the best ever. To each her own!

Good luck to Summer tonight/this morning and can't wait to see pictures of YOUR Hannah!

Bryan said...

Jill, I appreciate the very well thought-out and articulated comment. While I do agree with some of your arguments, I offer a few counter-arguements: 1) the vast majority of deliveries are already high tech (ultrasounds, tocometers, pulse oximeters, only to name a few), 2) most mothers already have an IV even if not getting an epidural, and there is no increased requirement for fetal monitoring, 3) there is no increase in the incidence of C-section with epidural anesthesia when compared to patients who recieve IV pain medication, 4) True, epidurals do confine you to a bed, but if you get the epidural during the second stage of labor, you probably wouldn't have been doing much walking anyway. 5) Of the other side effects, only itching is very common, and only with epidural narcotics. Personally, I would prefer itching over labor pain any day of the week, and the other rare side effects are very treatable. Hypotension is far less common if the mother receives a liter of IV fluid before the epidural, and even less common with co-administration of IV fluid - and it is VERY treatable with IV medication IF it occurs, with no significant increase in incidence of fetal distress if treated, 6) Only around 5% of epidurals don’t provide significant relief, and they can be repeated if needed. Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT think EVERY woman should have an epidural; I DO think that every woman who wants one should get an epidural, and I believe more women would want epidurals if they were aware of not only the side effects, but also the maternal and fetal benefits (yes, there is also a laundry list of benefits from epidurals, not just less labor pain).

Jill McQuade said...

You responded on my blog- how fun! We will probably never really agree on this subject. 
1. I agree that many deliveries are already high tech things, but I don’t think they should be. At least mine will never be, nor will I be getting IV’s. (many women think the most painful part of labor is the IV (I’m one of them)). There is increased risk in continual fetal monitoring- many many false positives on fetal distress there which increases the risk for unneeded interventions. 3. I admit I have never heard of this, I would love to see some actual studies supporting this, but overall I suppose it doesn’t matter to me as I do not want to use any drugs during labor. If I felt some were necessary I would likely go the epidural route anyway. 4. I’m sorry, but your comment was funny to me of not walking around in stage 2. I have walked and/or stood with all three of my kids until I was 10 cm and with the last I delivered on my hands and knees because my body told me I had to. Perhaps that will explain how big of a deal being confined to a bed is for me. 5. All I can say is that I have had children and I would take the labor pain (which gives wonderful natural endorphins and other benefits) to itching. I mean no offense, but it is hard to take the word of someone claiming something is better than labor pains from a person who never has or will experience them. (Please don’t take that as a disparaging comment, I realize that husbands do go thru a lot watching their wives). I’m glad you don’t think every woman should get an epidural and likewise I don’t think every woman should go without. I think women should be told the side-effects and quit treating labor as if something was wrong. The pain serves a purpose and to deaden it can create problems. I have never heard of any benefits from an epidural other than relieving pain/anxiety. And I really really doubt more woman would want epidurals than already do.

Anyway, thanks Bryan for stimulating my goo goo gaa gaa brain.

B-Hams said...

Wow Bryan, awesome Blog. I love reading all the comments. I am so glad that you posted this one. You are so sweet to put a disclaimer I don't find anything one bit offensive, in fact I really value your opinion even over those who have had children natural or not. They have a few experiences where you have seen and done 50-60 plus epis and have three kids of your own. And having an MD after your name sure boost my confidence. I have no idea what I will do when I have to decide epidural or not? I was hoping to just wing it but we will see!