Saturday, November 28, 2009

Happy Turkey Day!

Here is our Thanksgiving mantel. My amazingly crafty friend, Sarah, taught me how to make the cute bunting last year. I had good intentions to sew "GIVE THANKS" onto it, but I ran out of time. Again. Oh well. The sticks came from my neighbors' yard after a big wind storm and the apples were on clearance at JoAnn's way back in February. Hooray for cheap decorations! On Pie Day, I made four pumpkin pies (the boys in my house LOVE pumpkin pie!) and one Very Berry pie. I found this recipe in the Lion House Desserts cookbook. YUM!These cute turkey-shaped butters were from the Fresh Market. I think people were afraid to use them, because even after dinner for 26 people, all three turkeys were barely touched.
Once again, we felt so blessed to be able to spend Thanksgiving with wonderful friends while we are away from family! I felt a little sad that this was our last Thanksgiving in Ohio; we've made so many good memories with friends here during the holidays. Our celebrations have never been very fancy - just plastic tablecoths and paper plates, but there has always been plenty of delicious food and good friends to share it with.My amazing friend, Angie, and her beautiful fresh fruit cheesecakes and chocolate-covered strawberries. She and her daughter, Hadley, made adorable place card favors with the names of each guest.
About halfway through the meal, Hannah climbed up on our laps and discovered the CRANBERRY SAUCE! I gave her a little taste, and she liked it so much that she started eating it by the handful! She also helped herself to the chocolate-covered strawberries and the fruit on Angie's little cheesecakes.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Your mantel is beautiful! Even though we never had Thanksgiving at your house, it always looked like so much fun and all the food there looked YUMMY! FOUR pies?! You were busy! I'm still so super excited that you are moving so close to me!

Anonymous said...

hannah looks so much like you sister! She is adorable! It sounds like your Turkey Day was awesome! we sure missed you! but i am grateful you will be closer next year!

Tena said...

Turkey Butter!!!!! I love the little plates that you found. All that fruit looks so good! Fun Times! Miss you, but I will be there in a couple of months-again :D

Unknown said...

Hi, can I get your address? Tiffany Hood (Veigel) you can e-mail me.

You know who said...

The very last pic of Hannah looks just like a picture I have of myself when I was about that age. Crazy!?!? I never once thought she looked anything like me; your kid looks more like me than my own does. Just kidding.